Materials: F Hook, Bernat Softee Yarn or comparable baby yarn: Main Color, Contrasting Color can be used for trim and ties...
Measurements: neck to bottom is 5 to 5.5", that varies with how the shirt is trimmed out (sc rows or decorative stitches)
The width with the shirt laying flat from armhole to armhole is 7"
1. Chain 42, dc (double crochet) in 4th chain from hook, and in each chain across. Chain 3, turn.
2. dc in first 2 stitches, **2 dc in next stitch, 1 dc in next stitch** , repeat between ** and ** across the row, ending with dc in last two stitches. Ch 3, turn.
3. dc in the first 2 stitches, **2 dc in next stitch, dc in next 2 stitches**, repeat between ** and ** , ending with a dc in the last two stitches. Ch 1, turn.
4. Sc in the back loop only of each stitch. Ch 1, turn.
5. Sc in the back loop only of each stitch. Fasten yarn off.
6. Join same yarn or contrasting yarn. Working in back loops only, dc in first 2 st., then **(sc, chain 2, dc in next stitch), skip a stitch ** repeat across, ending with a double crochet in each of the last two stitches. Fasten Yarn off. This is the trim or ruffle row. To continue the sweater, you will work on the other set of loops on this row. Turn.
7. Join Main Color of yarn, working in back loops only, dc in back loop only of each stitch.
8. Making armholes in this row: Dc in first 13 stitches, chain 4, skip 16 dc (for armhole), dc in next 21 stitches, Chain 4, skip 16 dc (for armhole), dc in last 13 stitches.
9. dc in next 3 stitches, **2 dc in next stitch, dc in next 5 stitches**, repeat between ** and ** across row, ending with 1 dc in next to last stitch, 2 dc in last stitch. Chain 4, and turn.
10. Triple crochet in each stitch across. Chain 4, turn.
Row 11 and 12: Triple crochet in each stitch across. Do not fasten off, chain 1, and evenly sc in each stitch around the shirt, 3 sc in each Corner, Up the front, across the neck, down the other front, across the bottom. Repeat with another row of single crochet, when you reach row 5, chain 30, Turn, and sc in each chain (makes tie), continue with sc around garment. Put Ties on row 5 on each front.
(Optional: Instead of second row of sc around garment, use decorative trim Stitch (sc, chain 2, dc in one stitch, skip a stitch) around the garment. Fasten off, For the ties, chain 30, put your hook in between the stitches of row 4 and 5, Sc across the garment, going in between the stitches, at end of row, Chain 30, fasten off.)
Sleeves: Join yarn to middle stitch under arm. You will start and end each row in this stitch, Leaving the sleeve seams open.
1.Join yarn to middle stitch under arm, chain 3. DC evenly around armhole opening, do not join to first stitch. The last DC will be in the same stitch as the First stitch. Chain 3, turn.
2. DC in each stitch, chain 3 turn.
3. dc in first 2 stitches, ** crochet the next 2 dc together (decrease), dc in each of the next 4 stitches** repeat around, dc in each of last 2 stitches, chain 3, turn.
4. DC in each stitch around, chain 3, turn.
5. DC in each stitch around, fasten yarn off.
6. For ties, chain 30, sc into first dc of row 5, sc across row, chain 30, fasten yarn off.
© Copyright 2002 Deborah Patrick Kitts
Please do not post these free patterns on your web
site, they are copyright